Wednesday, September 14, 2016

12 September 2016

Season 4: Episode 16 "The one with Principles and Standards"

Good morning Brother's and Sister's,

I apologize that I haven't written in a few weeks. These past few weeks have brought an emphasis of living gospel principles and standards. When I say principles, some examples are Faith, Hope, Repentance, Obedience, etc. When I say standards, an example are the commandments found in scripture. The Savior's teaching on the Sermon on the Mount found in Matthew 5 are brought to my mind: 

27 ¶Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

As Christ was teaching us the Higher Law, He did not discount the Law of Moses, in fact he asked them to keep the same commandments (standards), but then required them to not even think about breaking the commandments (principles). 

With this Higher Law being given, not only was there a higher requirement of obedience, but also a greater capacity to exercise the God given gift of Agency. Which, through obedience, allowed greater blessings to flow.

I am grateful for the Savior, for His teachings that we have so readily available. They contain His word, His will for us. It is my prayer that they not be taken for granted, that they are studied and used. I am so thankful for the opportunity every day that I have to study, and to serve the Lord, and to truly come to know Him.

With Aloha,

Elder Tanuvasa